Saturday, August 27, 2011

Mawaru Penguindrum 07: Eggchanting!

mawaru penguindrum, penguindrum, yuri
Fabulous Max~ had to

Watching Penguindrum in the middle of a hurricane was pretty thrilling, but thank the anime gods my power didn't go out half way through. (And here's to hoping the blogging gods will let me finish this post!) Ahem. Episode 7 was just as, if not more, crazy as the past few and I'm starting to wonder when this Ringo ordeal will end. It's not that I don't like her or the story surrounding the diary, but I'm much, much more interested in Kanba and Masako.

mawaru penguindrum, penguindrum, shouma
Shouma, what've you gotten yourself into this time!

More or less, this episode had a very similar approach as some of the past Ringo episodes with the new twist of Shouma being able to help her be a creep fulfill her "destiny". Yuri finally made another important appearance and to Ringo's (and my own) surprise, she announced that she and Keiju were engaged! If you thought Ringo's obsession to win him over was over-the-top before then you obviously haven't seen this episode. Anyone who resorts to using frog eggs laid over a 16 year olds back to make a love elixir is clearly out of their mind.

Yuri's singing was very pretty and I really loved the entire "play" scene. I'm sure there was plenty of symbolism I missed, but I enjoyed it for what it was. Like Ringo, I get a feeling Yuri isn't who she seems to be. Her smiles seem fake, her overly enthusiastic voice seems fake, and most of all, her compliments and invitations to Ringo seem fake.

mawaru penguindrum, penguindrum, kanba
Needs more Kanba.

The show's also begun to take a much more ... "mature" and sexualized. The imaginary scene between Yuri and the businessman for instance, as well as the whole ending scene with Ringo deciding she needs to carry Keiju's baby to make him love her. (Like the whole "Survival Strategy" wasn't enough!) Just kidding. It's an interesting path for a show to take, and I can't wait to see where it goes. Did the last scene remind everyone of the scene in Star Driver between Sugata and Keito?

Anyway, it was a very enjoyable episode as usual, but I wish they gave more screentime to Kanba and Masako. After last week's amazing developments I was hoping for a follow-up, but was slightly disappointed. Anyway, what did you think of the episode? Do you like the direction it's going so far? Any predictions for the future?

mawaru penguindrum, penguindrum, keiju, ringo
If only he knew ...

0 comments:

Post a Comment