Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mawaru Penguindrum 06: Penguin 4?

penguindrum, mawaru penguindrum
Wh-wh-whaaaat!?

I haven't gotten that far into Revolutionary Girl Utena yet (12 episodes so far), but I can already see all the similarities from the directors creative mind. I should say though that when it comes to Penguindrum I'm still slightly lost in the story. There're lots of characters and plenty of strange aspects of the show that don't seem to all fit together yet. Like Masako for instance. Maybe I'm just a little impatient.

This episode was creepy, but not for the reasons some of the past episodes involving Ringo have been. Just the atmosphere in general was disturbing, especially the new story developments about Ringo's family. Like all my posts, possible spoilers are after the jump.

penguindrum, mawaru penguindrum
Mhm, I'll understand this ... eventually.

So from what I understood, Ringo's deceased sister was in a relationship (and married?) to Tabuki, but when she died it tore apart her family. Ringo, who thinks the family was centered around her sister, wants to fulfill the events that her sister wrote about in a diary and basically "become" her sister in hopes that it will bring her family back together. That's so depressing, and yet I have the utmost respect for the person who came up with such a morbid plot because it works. How it has anything to do with the "penguindrum"? Hmmm, no clue.

And then there's Masako who wiped out the memory of two more of Kanba's ex-girlfriends for whatever reason using the same red penguin balls from last episode with Asami. If you didn't notice, there's a sign during this scene with the penguin symbol and underneath are the words "Ping Se-" (It's partially unreadable.) I'm guessing that's the name of the company involved in anything with that symbol? So, does that mean Kanba's father worked for that company? Is it even a company? I don't know! But that's what I love about this show, it let's you do the thinking instead of explaining everything in black and white.

penguindrum, mawaru penguindrum, ringo, ringo oginome, tabuki, keiju tabuki
Ringo, what what what are you doing?

It took two weeks for the episode to air, but it was definitely worth the wait. This episode was once again outstanding and it's something you should experience with your own eyes. Did the scene with Kanba and the two ex-girlfriends remind anyone else of Bakemonogatari? That reminds me, I have to finish that show sometime soon!

So, what did you think of the episode? Do you think Masako is involved with Himari's hat or the penguindrum?

penguindrum, mawaru penguindrum, masako, makaso natsume, penguin
Another penguin!? YES!

0 comments:

Post a Comment