Sunday, July 17, 2011

My "On-Hold" List - A Real Nightmare (Part 2)

tengen toppa gurren lagann
Does this mean you'll finally finish TTGL!?

Last week I forced myself to rethink the series on my looooooong on-hold list and, to my surprise, it actually helped, well sort of. I came to the conclusion that I would probably never get back to watching Beelzebub or Suite Precure, and thanks to reader comments, that Kore wa Zombie Desuka was worth picking back up. So, once again I'll be going through a handful of series to figure out which shows are worth watching in the future, and which are doomed to be dropped. And, who knows, maybe you'll find a series you might want to watch! (Following photos thanks to MyAnimeList!)



6. Ghost Hound (10/18/2007 - 04/04/2008)

ghost hound
Make sure you're watching at night.

Episodes Seen - 7/22
Reason to Start
    I'm a huge fan of the horror/psychological genre, and I had heard Ghost Hound delivered in both aspects. Besides that, the characters and art I saw looked amazing.
Reason to Stop
    Ah, I got really busy with school and I ended up taking a break from anime.
What I Expected
    Something great.
What I Got:
    Something brilliant. I remember watching the show at night with the lights off and it was actually scary, something I've never experienced watching anime. But it wasn't the "pop out/cheap tricks" type horror, it was the atmospheric and psychological type that lingers with you for days after.
The Good
    A solid story and great characters to back it up.
The Bad
    Some moments get extremely dialogue heavy, and not the enjoyable type of dialogue, mostly explanations and scientific stuff I didn't understand even after the long speeches.
Finish, Hold, or Drop? - Finish, hopefully by the end of the summer, but I'll probably start from the beginning. Anyone else interested in the genre should give it a try!

7. Freezing (01/08/2011 - 04/07/2011)

freezing
I'm sure you can tell where this goes.

Episodes Seen - 6/12
Reason to Start
    This was during my winter 2011 kick, when I thought I could watch like 20 series and keep up. That didn't work out too well, obviously.
Reason to Stop
    There were tons of better series with so much potential, and this wasn't worth the time.
What I Expected
    An inferior Elfen Lied.
What I Got:
    Tons of fanservice, to the point where nothing else seemed to matter.
The Good
    Kana Hanazawa, who seems to be everywhere now.
The Bad
    The awful characters, the awful plot, the awful everything.
Finish, Hold, or Drop? - Drop.

8. One Piece (10/20/1999 - N/A)

one piece
These five were pretty much a part of my childhood.

Episodes Seen - I can't even remember, but it was up until the part where the short talking reindeer joined the crew.
Reason to Start
    I was just a kid watching terrible dubs on cartoon network.
Reason to Stop
    This was long before I had laptop and access to the internet, so I grew out of my cartoon network phase (into my Disney channel phase) and stopped watching.
What I Expected
    Naruto with pirates.
What I Got:
    A pretty good show, well, when I was younger. I'm not sure how interesting it would be for me now, though I hear it's still a good watch if you skip the fillers.
The Good
    I always thought Nami and Zoro were cool characters.
The Bad
    Hm. Again, so long ago. I can't really remember specifics.
Finish, Hold, or Drop? - Hold, because I'll probably restart it one day.

9. Full Moon wo Sagashite (04/06/2002 - 03/29/2003)

full moon wo sagashite

Episodes Seen - 1/52
Reason to Start
    I was looking for a good romance anime, and the music aspect sounded like a plus.
Reason to Stop
    The first episode left me bored, and when I put it aside I ended up forgetting about it.
What I Expected
    Something a little more mature.
What I Got:
    The opposite.
The Good
    The story was actually really sad, and I felt bad for the main character, and having a connection with the cast is always an important factor in enjoying a show.
The Bad
    The music/idol aspects got a little crazy in my opinion, and some of the characters annoyed me.
Finish, Hold, or Drop? - Unfortunately, I think I'll have to drop this.

10. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (04/01/2007 - 09/30/2007)

Pretty damn epic.

Episodes Seen - 10/27
Reason to Start
    All of the good things I read about the series.
Reason to Stop
    ... That's a good question. Somehow it ended up there during last January-ish, I guess that was around the winter catastrophe I keep mentioning.
What I Expected
    Over-the-top fight scenes, crazy characters, and awesome dialogue.
What I Got:
    All that and more.
The Good
    Nine of the ten episodes were amazingly outrageous and enjoyable (the underground one wasn't so great) and watching episodes were a great action-packed way to end the day.
The Bad
    A certain ... scene. I don't want to spoil it, but I was really angry and upset that it happened because I felt it was way to early, but I guess it was good way to advance another aspect of the show.
Finish, Hold, or Drop? - Definitely finish, I might even watch another episode tonight!

Well, five more series down, a heck of a lot to go, but it's progress ... yeah, let's call it that. So, what are your opinions on these five shows? Have any good reasons why I should give Freezing or Full Moon another chance?

0 comments:

Post a Comment