Saturday, July 9, 2011

The iDOLM@STER 01: "Unity is Strength"

idolmaster
Meet the girls of 765 Production.

Coming into the Summer Season the last show I thought I'd ever watch, let alone blog about, was iDOLM@STER. Even now, I'm thinking that I must be a fool to even consider blogging a video game adaptation with more characters then I can count with my fingers. Not only was iDOLM@STER's first episode extremely fast paced and a little cliched, but it was also slightly annoying in some aspects, but something about the direction won't let me go, and by writing this post I'm hoping to figure out what that is.

"They are what girls aspire to be. However, only a handful are able to stand at the top ... Into that world, 13 girls set foot." There I was, seconds away from joining a Monster Hunter lobby when the quote flashed across the screen, soft piano notes playing in the background. My eyes were stuck to the screen from that moment, I set my controller aside, and focused on what might be the craziest ride a first episode has ever taken me on. The quote grabbed my attention so immediately because I could relate to it. Before I go any further, no, I don't want to be a pop idol, but I can understand the intimidation of difficult aspirations conveyed through the message. Writing is something I love to do, but can I ever be sure that I'll ever make it farther then a post on a blog the majority of the world will never see? But, as Ritsuko says below, as long as I continue my life not giving up does it really matter if I never make it big?



idolmaster
idolmaster
Well said, Ritsuko.

I feel as if that was the underlying theme of this episode. All thirteen of these young, aspiring women most likely won't make it as a "huge pop star", heck maybe none of them will, but they're together, they're unified, and as you can clearly see, they're having fun following their dreams, and fun is something we often times forget. I wouldn't blog if it wasn't fun for me to do.

As I'm sure other viewers have already done, certain characters have already stood out to me as "the ones to watch". With only 23 minutes and 13 girls, plus side characters, there isn't a lot of screentime to go around. However, using the first person perspective of a camera allowed each girl to shine in their own way, albeit some shined more then others. With this time each girl developed a little over a cliche, which isn't saying much at the moment, but now that each of the aspiring idols are introduced there is more then enough room for them to become more then just those cliches. (except for maybe the shy girl, I think she's too far gone.)

idolmaster
Oh boy, here we go ...

If you're too quick to judge, you'll never get a chance to fully take in what a character can offer to a series, so I'll leave Yukiho alone ... for now. One of my true fears for the series is that they won't utilize the time right and for 13 episodes we'll have undeveloped cliches walking around doing exactly what you'd expect them to do and saying what exactly you'd expect them to say. Predictability is never interesting. But, I'm putting my faith into the producers, and maybe iDOLM@STER will turn into a hit for me. Unless it turns into a harem, in which case, I might have to turn away.

If I had to pick, I'd say the three most interesting girls would have to be Chihaya, Azusa, and Takane (who is strikingly similar to Laura Bodewig). Takane's "top secret" information is curious, because there must be more to why she won't reveal any information. Azusa, who I believe might be the eldest of the cast, grasps what it means to follow her occupation, dedication, hard work, and time. Lastly, Chihaya. If you haven't realized there's more to her then just a beautiful singing voice, then I don't know what you're watching.

idolmaster
idolmaster
The lighting in this scene says a lot.

Along with the prospects of great music ahead, and the brilliant and vibrant animation, iDOLM@STER has all the right tools to build an amazing, enjoyable show. They've already proven the character interactions can be both humorous and inviting, and that there won't be flying robots this time around, so I give my best of luck to iDOLM@STER this future season. And I think I've figured out what it was that kept me attentive until the last second, appreciation.

idolmaster
Are you sure you should have your hopes so high?

0 comments:

Post a Comment